What is it ?
- It is a shred from solid rubber tyres that looks like bark
- Provides a very soft and squashy surface
- Can be loose or bonded but is most suited for bonding
- Also known as resin bounded rubber mulch
- Requires only compacted soil and membrane for sub layer
- No edging required
How it Works !
- The coloured mulch arrives in 10kg bags and the resin in 25kg kegs
- Each square metre of 50mm depth requires 20kg mulch and 4kg resin
- Mix using a paddle mixer and tub, or a clean concrete mixer
- The optimum mix of mulch to resin should be about 5:1 ratio
- Call MonsterMulch on 0191 645 1685 for advice and support
|Coverage requirement per 1 square metre @ 20% resin
||16 kg mulch with 3.2 kg resin
||20 kg mulch with 4 kg resin
* prices excluding and carriage VAT
Not rot or blow away
Detailed Laying Method for Bonded Mulch !
- Rubber mulch and resin are delivered to site in 10kg bags mulch and 25kg kegs resin. To mix, you can use paddle mixer and tub, a clean concrete mixer or ideally a forced action mixer. It can even mix by hand avoiding contact with your skin. You will also need gloves, trowel, depth block, cloth, funnel, measuring jug, bucket and a porous membrane.
- Prepare the ground, flatten the soil as best you can. Lay the membrane over the soil area. Edging can be used otherwise the sides can just sink into a “V” trench at 45 degrees.
- Prepare the bonded rubber mulch mix, place 1 x 10kg bag or 2 bags if you are blending colours in the mixer and start turning. Ensure a full measure of binder from the keg goes in a measuring jug. The ratio is 5:1 by weight or 5:1 by volume (1kg = 1.1liters). Add 2kgs of resin to each 10kgs of mulch. Let the rubber and resin mix for 3-5 minutes or until an even consistency is achieved. Pour straight from the tub or via a bucket to the area being worked on.
- Use a block of wood to gauge a consistent depth. It can be tampered to the ground usually to 50mm. Do not compact/squash it. A two man experienced team could install in the region of 100sq metres per day.
- Caution: ensure that the mulch is dry and stays dry during curing.
- Call MonsterMulch on 0191 645 1685 if you have any further questions.
Disclaimer: This system is designed to be installed for a wide variety of applications, subject to the performance requirements for your particular application and your existing site conditions, the degrees of preparation may vary.
* Hybrid Bonded Mulch
This is a new system being tested and so far shows the same performance as Bonded Mulch whilst saving over 20% in costs. For example our tests show a that a 40mm bonded mulch system can perform exactly the same as a hybrid of 20mm top layer bonded mulch (with 20% resin) and 20mm base layer 2-6mm rubber crumb (10% resin).
After all, the more expensive coloured bonded mulch can not be seen 20mm down and the resin to hold the rubber together is not as critcal in the base layer as the top layer.
The only downside may that laying may takes 2 days instead of one because the base needs curing firstly. Also if the same mixer is being used it will need cleaning out after the laying the 2-6mm crumb SBR base layer. Please enquire for more information.
Hybrid Bonded Mulch Critical Fall Height Chart
| Depth mm
|| Fall Height
|| Make Up
|| 45mm mulch
|| 45mm mulch & 25mm SBR 2-6mm
|| 45mm mulch & 25mm SBR 2-6mm
* Results verified by Labosport